“My path has not been determined. I shall have more experiences and pass many more milestones.” Agnetha Faltskog
Happy Half-Birthday Older Wiser Money Miser! I started this thing 6 months ago not having any idea what I was doing or where it would lead. What a trip it’s been! Some things I’ve learned along the way…
- Fellow bloggers are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met in my life. In a very short period of time I’ve made many treasured friends from just about every time zone on the planet! They never hesitate to give an encouraging word or to answer the multitude of questions I have about doing this whole thing correctly. Your counsel and advice is and will continue to be MUCH appreciated. Thank you! And to those of you who started your blog after I started mine, I hope I can pay it forward and offer some sound advice to you, too.
- Making money from a blog is HARDER than I ever thought it would be. Not impossible, but not a cake walk, either. This is definitely NOT a “get rich quick” thing and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. A precious few may have made some serious money quickly but the majority of us are decidedly NOT bringing in piles of cash. That’s the reality of it, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that reality. That’s just life.
- There’s a whole lot more thought that goes into writing a blog post than just spitting out words. While I refuse to be a slave to SEO (Search Engine Optimization) it is always in the back of my mind whenever I write these days. I still have a whole lot to learn about how it all works but I’ve already figured out a good bit. I hope that’s reflected in the evolution of my writing.
- Walking is not just good exercise. Some of my best ideas come to me when I’m in my local park listening to a good motivational podcast. Some of my favorites are ProBlogger, Zig Ziglar and Ken Coleman. I use the Notes app on my iPhone to jot down ideas, using the microphone for talk to text. Not all of these ideas amount to anything significant but a good bit of it eventually ends up appearing here on the blog.
- Starting a blog, even a self-hosted blog, does NOT have to cost a lot of money. Having a little bit of technical skill helps, but resources are available to start your blog and create a website for very little cost. I have to give a shout-out to Neta Talmor with No Hassle Website. She does not offer an affiliate program since the cost of her product is so low but I really need to give her a “plug”, anyhow. I used her product to build my website and I’m very pleased with the final product. The process was a painful one for me but not because of Neta’s patience and enthusiasm for helping her clients. If you’re looking to start a website of any kind, I give this product a very heartfelt recommendation. Thank you, Neta.
- One last thing-keeping the blog mostly about being intentional with my money has helped me to actually be more intentional with my money! Who’da thunk that? Sometimes when Hubs and I are out shopping and we start thinking about buying something we don’t really need I’ll turned to him and say, “We can’t buy this-I’m the Older Wiser Money Miser!” I have a reputation to uphold! Seriously, I started this in the hopes that I could inspire anyone who needed a wake-up call (or, let’s admit it-a good swift kick in the pants!) to stop being such a klutz where money is concerned. I truly hope I’ve succeeded. I’m still consumer debt-free and will continue down that road. I will also continue sharing whatever advice and knowledge I can to help my readers find financial freedom. If I’ve helped you in any way, I’d appreciate it if you’d let me know in the comments. If there’s something I haven’t explored yet that you’d like to see, let me know that, too. Thank you.
Be well and God Bless – until we meet again…